Thursday, March 8, 2012

Whoever said 'sleeping like a baby' obviously never had one

Axton has gone on a sleep strike. Yes, I know he's a baby and they don't usually sleep for very long periods of time. When Axton was about a month old he'd sleep for about 4 hours at a time at night. At 2 months I was super lucky and he'd sleep about 6 hours. Right after he turned 3 months, he suddenly went to waking up every 3 hours. And it hasn't improved. I am one tired mama! And of course, it started the week before I went back to work. (more on this later) 
He also is a terrible napper. When I get him to nap, he wakes up exactly 30 minutes later. Some may argue and say that some kids don't require a lot of sleep but he's way cranky when he's lacking good quality sleep. On the other hand, he does nap for longer than 30 minutes when his Aunt Kristin baby-sits him.  I've tried mimicking all the things she does but I don't have the same success. I know it'll pass but I just needed to rant.
Earlier I mentioned about going back to work... My first day back was February 20th and it has gone surprisingly smooth. I am only working 2 days a week and will soon be orienting another nurse at work to take over some of my charge nurse duties. This is wonderful for me because I have less stress at work. And it means I only spend 2 days a week away from my baby.  On days that Jon and I both work, Axton gets to hang out at his Aunt Kristin's house with his 2 cousins, Matt and Olivia.
I miss hanging out with my Axton all day every day but I knew that I would eventually have to go back to work. This is only my 3rd week back but I'm glad everything is going ok.

1 comments:

Kristin said...

We feel super duper lucky to get to hang out with baby Axton, the kiddos think he's especially neat! :)